Our Family

Our Family
November 2013

May 28, 2009

Thoughts for Thursday

Lately I've been updating pictures and stories of our lives, but today I'm reflecting on some things and all of the sudden I feel compelled to share with everyone.
So here I am, sitting here contemplating a conversation that Bill and I had yesterday about accountability. We were talking about when you have someone sitting in front of you asking you questions and there will be times that you do something even when you don't want to and even with the wrong motivation just because you don't want to tell someone that you failed. I brought up the point that yes I think we need accountability. It is such an important part of life. I know personally when I have someone sitting in front of me asking questions that I do better when I know someone is going to hold me accountable. What is blowing my mind is that God asks us to do little things like love Him more than anything else in the world. If I am really honest with myself can I say that I love God more than anything? Probably not. The desire is there, the motivation is there, but where I fail is getting into the daily routine of living life and incorporating God as I go throughout my daily life. As Bill is has studying the Scriptures about how to raise a child to love God, he keeps finding the phrase "as you go." As I go through my daily life I am supposed to teach Isaac how to love God with all of his heart, to grow in a relationship with Christ, not just pray a prayer and do it because Mommy and Daddy do. What an daunting task. An overwhelming, mind blowing task if you think about it. How can I teach Isaac to love God more than anything if it's something that I struggle to do. Again, I think if we are completely honest with ourselves, especially when you have a family that there is a times that you have struggled to love God more than anything. I guess all of my thoughts boil down to this. If I balance my checkbook, eat certain foods, workout or avoid certain TV shows that aren't the best for me to watch just because someone is going to ask me if I did these things and I don't want to disappoint them, why can't I love God with everything I have AND love Him more than anything I have. Why is it not okay for me to disappoint a friend, but it's okay for me to disappoint God every day.
God has just hit me in the face the last few days (well not literally). I feel like he's been asking me, Anne do you love me more than you love anything else? Do you love me more than you love Bill? Do you love me more than you love Isaac? I kind of feel like Peter when Jesus asks Peter if he love Him and Peter of course answers yes. I answer those questions with a firm yes. I love you Lord more than anything. His response is, then why don't you crave to spend time with me like you do Bill, or Isaac, or sadly enough your computer and Facebook? I hate it when God convicts you like this. When you feel as though you've literally been spanked. So my goal for this week is not just to love God, but love Him more than anything else. What does that look like for me? I'm not exactly sure, yet. I do know that I've made a conscience effort to spend time with God before I pick up my computer every day. It's sad that my computer has becoming a stumbling block, but it's true.
I guess I leave this post today with a question. Do you love God more than anything else in the world?

No comments: