Today is one of those days that I am overwhelmed at what God has given me in my tiny family of four.
Almost 4 years ago I started this blog mainly to keep my family updated on our first child. I can't say I've been a wonderful blogger but like everything else, life happens. I titled this blog the Ford Family Adventures not knowing exactly what this adventure would be and where He would take us. I still have no idea but I'm along for the ride and for today I am completely happy not being in charge.
Today though, I can't get my mind off the treasure that God has given me in my two precious boys.
Any parent, no matter how long you've been a parent, knows it's very hard to be a parent. Often I wonder if God knew what He was doing giving us two very energetic boys 16 months apart. Hello, we're 30 and 34. But of course He knew what He was doing. He always does. Our boys push our limits, frustrate us and got the worst part of both their parents, their stubbornness. Bill and I are both extremely stubborn and the boys got the best of it.
Then there are nights like last night and dinner times like today. Good days. No, amazing days. We often wonder if we are parenting the boys the way God wants us to. Are we training them in Godly ways and not letting our personal flaws and opinions get in the way of them knowing God. Obviously we talk about God very freely in our home. He is a topic of many conversations throughout our time together. But you never know what your kids pick up on. What do they really hear and remember.
Each night since Isaac's first birthday we pray and read the Bible together before bed. Once Noah was on the same schedule he naturally became a part of this routine. Isaac loves to read his Bible. I can only think of a handful of nights in the last 2.5 years that we've missed. He wants to read his Bible often. Noah listens and sits quietly yet doesn't actively participate. He is just 2.
Noah's just beginning to pray. Our philosophy is that you have to start somewhere so we have him thank Jesus for his day. Isaac fills in all the things he's thankful for and often tells Jesus He is sorry for something he's done that he shouldn't have done. For the first time last night we started to pray. Noah started filling in the prayer with real things that he was thankful for. Mommy, Daddy and Isaac. I almost cried. At 2, he's starting to get it. He's learning what it's like to talk to God. What we are trying to model is working.
Then there's Isaac with his most tender little heart. Always worried about everyone and wants to pray for people who are sick or upset. He wants everybody to be okay. Today he has been focused on prayer. He took time at dinner to pray for everyone at the table. Individually he said prayers for everyone. Not just "thank you for _________" prayers. Specific prayers for each person. Specifically thanking God for things about that person, asking God to make them better or something that He felt he needed to talk to God about.
It was amazing to hear this little 3 year old talk to God in his own little way. All I can think about tonight is what a great responsibility it is to raise these boys. Bill reminded me this weekend that God gave the boys the parents that they needed. Even when we fail as we often do. He's right; God gave the boys to us because He trusted us. That doesn't mean we don't have to be the best we can be, but God gave these boys what they needed.
My prayer is that we continue to show the boys who God is and that His love is always unconditional. His love is far better than ours could ever be. I pray that they find and fall madly in love with Him more than their parents could. I pray they are more faithful to Him than their parents were.
What a great responsibility, yet an amazing reward for all of us to enjoy.
God, use our boys. Show them who you are every day. Please help them to fall madly and passionately in love with you.
Almost 4 years ago I started this blog mainly to keep my family updated on our first child. I can't say I've been a wonderful blogger but like everything else, life happens. I titled this blog the Ford Family Adventures not knowing exactly what this adventure would be and where He would take us. I still have no idea but I'm along for the ride and for today I am completely happy not being in charge.
Today though, I can't get my mind off the treasure that God has given me in my two precious boys.
Any parent, no matter how long you've been a parent, knows it's very hard to be a parent. Often I wonder if God knew what He was doing giving us two very energetic boys 16 months apart. Hello, we're 30 and 34. But of course He knew what He was doing. He always does. Our boys push our limits, frustrate us and got the worst part of both their parents, their stubbornness. Bill and I are both extremely stubborn and the boys got the best of it.
Then there are nights like last night and dinner times like today. Good days. No, amazing days. We often wonder if we are parenting the boys the way God wants us to. Are we training them in Godly ways and not letting our personal flaws and opinions get in the way of them knowing God. Obviously we talk about God very freely in our home. He is a topic of many conversations throughout our time together. But you never know what your kids pick up on. What do they really hear and remember.
Each night since Isaac's first birthday we pray and read the Bible together before bed. Once Noah was on the same schedule he naturally became a part of this routine. Isaac loves to read his Bible. I can only think of a handful of nights in the last 2.5 years that we've missed. He wants to read his Bible often. Noah listens and sits quietly yet doesn't actively participate. He is just 2.
Noah's just beginning to pray. Our philosophy is that you have to start somewhere so we have him thank Jesus for his day. Isaac fills in all the things he's thankful for and often tells Jesus He is sorry for something he's done that he shouldn't have done. For the first time last night we started to pray. Noah started filling in the prayer with real things that he was thankful for. Mommy, Daddy and Isaac. I almost cried. At 2, he's starting to get it. He's learning what it's like to talk to God. What we are trying to model is working.
Then there's Isaac with his most tender little heart. Always worried about everyone and wants to pray for people who are sick or upset. He wants everybody to be okay. Today he has been focused on prayer. He took time at dinner to pray for everyone at the table. Individually he said prayers for everyone. Not just "thank you for _________" prayers. Specific prayers for each person. Specifically thanking God for things about that person, asking God to make them better or something that He felt he needed to talk to God about.
It was amazing to hear this little 3 year old talk to God in his own little way. All I can think about tonight is what a great responsibility it is to raise these boys. Bill reminded me this weekend that God gave the boys the parents that they needed. Even when we fail as we often do. He's right; God gave the boys to us because He trusted us. That doesn't mean we don't have to be the best we can be, but God gave these boys what they needed.
My prayer is that we continue to show the boys who God is and that His love is always unconditional. His love is far better than ours could ever be. I pray that they find and fall madly in love with Him more than their parents could. I pray they are more faithful to Him than their parents were.
What a great responsibility, yet an amazing reward for all of us to enjoy.
God, use our boys. Show them who you are every day. Please help them to fall madly and passionately in love with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment